CALL JASON TODAY: (705) 879-8200

Kawartha Lakes Short Term Rental License

Navigating the New Kawartha Lakes Short Term Rental License Application Process

Kawartha Lakes has always been a popular summer destination for families in Ontario for generations, but the popularity and demand for lakefront vacations intensified once Covid hit. This popularity fuelled waterfront property sales and soon enough Airbnb’s were popping up everywhere. Short-term rentals have become a popular way for both tourists and locals to experience the beauty of the area. To ensure responsible and sustainable short-term rental practices, the city has recently introduced a Short-Term Rental License Application process. In this blog post, I’ll guide you through the key aspects of this new system and help you understand how it impacts property owners and visitors alike.

Key Elements of the Kawartha Lakes Short-Term Rental License Application

  1. Types of Licenses available;

    6 Months (October 31 to April 30) $150
    6 Months (May 1 to October 31) $150
    1 Year (April 1 to March 31) $150

    6 Months (October 31 to April 30) $750
    6 Months (May 1 to October 31) $750
    1 Year (April 1 to March 31) $1500

  2. Owner Information

    This includes the Address of the Short Term Rental, Name of Property Owner(s), Home Address, City, Postal Code, Email, and Phone Number.

  3. Responsible Person

    This is an Owner or a Person, twenty-five (25) years of age or older if an  individual, duly appointed by an Owner to act on its behalf, and being responsible for ensuring the Short-Term Rental Accommodation is operated in accordance with the provisions of this Bylaw, the License and applicable laws.

    This person will be required to respond to a bylaw officer within 30 minutes and, if necessary, attend the short term rental within 1 hour or less.

  4. Required Documentation

    Short Term Rental Licence fee as per the fees By-law and as outlined above
    2. Signed Declaration of applicable By-laws and regulations (included in form)
    3. Proof of property ownership
    4. Copy of property owner’s drivers license
    5. Proof of general liability insurance of $2,000,000.00 (minimum)
    6. Site diagram and floor plan to scale and dimension to include the following:

    The location of all buildings and structures on the property
    The location of wells, and all components of sewage systems
    The use of each room
    The location of smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, and early warning devices
    The location of fire extinguishers
    The location of records of tests and maintenance of smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, early
    warning devices and fire extinguishers
    The location of all gas and electric appliances
    The location of all entrances/exits to and from the buildings
    The exterior decks and related site amenities including dimensioned parking spaces, and other
    buildings or structures on the property.

  5. Declarations

    You will not be required to submit any documentation, but you will be required to keep up to date records in the instance a Bylaw officer ever asked for it.

    – Electrical Panel in good working order
    – WETT Certification with a report within the last five years.
    – Annual Inspection of chimney, flue pipes, cleaned and safe to be utilized.
    – Annual inspection of HVAC system, including service by a licensed HVAC Technician.
    – Annual record of testing and maintenance for all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
    – Awareness and declaration to comply with the following bylaws; Noise, Open Fire, Yard Maintenance, Parking, Animals, Fireworks & Property Standards.

While this license process is still in its infancy, if you have any questions about gathering the required documents for submission, please feel free to contact me!



Ready to talk about your real estate goals? Connect with me!

Jason Richard, REALTOR®
Call/Text: (705) 879-8200
Email: jasonrichard@royallepage.ca

Jason Richard Realtor